Projects

Monday, August 19, 2013

Chocolate Buttered Pecan Cake




This cake was a bit of an experiment... a very yummy experiment!

          Since I was not at work this past Sunday I was finally able to contribute to our Family Night Dinner.  Although there are so many things I want to do on the weekends when I have a chance, whipping up a quick and yummy dessert was the least I could do to help my folks feed the masses. 

Since I am not a avid cook, this beauty started with a box.  Honestly... I'm pretty sure a box cake is way better than anything I could attempt to do from scratch, frosting on the other hand is where I get to play around with it a bit. 

 Really, I just kinda went with what I had in my pantry. 
There was a thought of trying a fancy recipe off Pinterest,  
but that would have required a trip to the grocery store 
and I had a sleeping baby upstairs.

 Out came the meatloaf pan, to give it a little more
 of a "Custom Cake" feel.  
Just a pet Peeve of mine, I line the meatloaf pan 
with wax paper for two reasons

                      1. It makes it easier to lift out the cake 
                      2. It grosses me out to think there was raw meat 
                          in there before, yes I do clean my dishes but 
                          it still creeps me out.


Now the Frosting,  
this is the part that really takes the cake 
(silly I know

Ingredients:

                                                                1/2c. Unsalted butter
                                                                8oz Cream cheese
                                                                4oz Sour cream
                                                                2c. Powdered sugar
                                                                8oz Chopped Pecans
                                                                2 tbsp Unsalted butter
                                                                2tsp Vanilla extract

Using a large skillet melt 2tbsp of butter on medium heat and stir in your chopped pecans, it's best to let them sit for a minute to get nice and toasty.  Stir occasionally so they don't burn, this should take about 10 to 15 min.  Toasted butter pecans smell wonderful.  Once they are toasted sit them aside and let them cool down completely.


In a large bowl mix your cream cheese, sour cream, 1/2c butter and vanilla.  Once that is mixed to a creamy consistency,  sift in your sugar until the mix is fluffy.  Then mix in the cooled buttered pecans.  

Let the frosting cool in the fridge for about an hour or so, this will let the flavors settle in and help it to harden a little so it will stick to the cake and not slide off. 

Once your cake is cooled completely slather on all that amazing frosting and stick it back in the fridge until you're ready to serve! 

Yummy

*Angela*

No comments:

Post a Comment